Zontes Panther 12cc Motorbike Review

After 7 years of being riding a 102cc Honda Lead Scooter I decided it was time up trade up to a proper Bike. 

I went for a Zontes Panther 125cc ZT125-8A. The bike cost £1000 less than a Yamaha YBR and the manager of the garage I bought it from (a Yamaha dealer) said he preferred the Zontes bikes as they had more BHP and looked a lot better then the YBR's. 




The other bikes in the range include the Zontes Tiger which has a custom cruiser look to it and the Zontes Monster which is is basically the same as the Panther but with a higher seal position and a slightly larger fuel tank. 

The sales blurb:- 
The panther encompasses all elements of Zontes machines that makes them perfect for both learners and seasoned commuters, yet packaged compactly in modern style.
The two piece handle bars, angular mirrors, sharp cut fuel tank lines and poised headlamps give the Panther a throughly up to date look, enhancing the overall build quality.
As with all Zontes 125 engines, they utlising the overhead cam and counterbalanaced crackshaft which delivers smooth power great economy.

The things that really sold the bike to me (other than the price) were:-

1) The gear indicator:- This was very important to me as I an not used to riding a geared bike. 
2) An electric and a kick start:- From experience riding in cold weather, the battery sometimes needs a little help and the kick start can take up the slack and start the bike first time if the electric start fails. 
3) Front and back disc breaks:- The breaking is a lot more responsive than the drum breaks on my scooter. 
4) The power:- The Zontes has a more powerful engine than the YBR. 

  • Type:- 4 Stroke
  • Displacement:- 125CC
  • Drive:- Chain
  • Fuel System:- Petrol/Carb
  • Front Tyre:- 3.00-18 Rear Tyre 110/80-17
  • Length X Width X Height 1980x730x1070mm
  • Wheelbase 1280mmSeat 
  • Height755mm
  • Dry Weight 115kg
  • Fuel Capacity 15 Liters Max 
  • Net Power Kw/Rpm8.7Kw @ 8000Rpm
  • Cooling System Air Cooled
  • Transmission 5 Speed Gear
  • Front Suspension Telescopic Rear Suspension Twin Shock 
  • Front Brake Disc Rear Brake Disc

Things which aren't mentioned in the sales spec are that is has a helmet lock (not much use unless you are just running into a shop). The rear brake light is LED. The gear indicator is really bright and easy to see even in strong daylight. The indicators have a hazard setting (similar to a car) 

I've only been out for a quick ride about the town to get used to riding a geared bike but so far I am really impressed. The build quality is excellent and with some care and attention (especially in the winter) I'm sure rust etc can be kept under control. 

Its too early to comment on the power of the engine because its still bedding in. I didn't want to push it but it held 60mph in a very strong headwind so I'm fairly confident that once the engine has been properly run it it will comfortably do 60/70 mph. 

Keep an eye on my blog and I will post an update once I have taken it out properly. 












Comments

  1. Hiya, I've also got a Zontes Panther in black, they are brilliant bikes to ride.
    My only problem with it is that I can't find anywhere that would sell spare parts for it. Any ideas?

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only thing that completely put me off getting this bike; parts are hard to get hold of and upgrades are nonexistent. It's a shame because this was my first choice first bike; it looks awesome, has plenty of power for a 125, I sat on one and it was the perfect size and riding position for me, it's cheap but has amazing build quality. I ended up going for a Sinnis Apache but would have went for a Zontes any day had parts\upgrades been more available.

      Delete
  2. I have a Tiger great bike, Give the importer a ring I have spoken to then several times about tech problems and found them very helpful
    Clements Moto - 01227 720700

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the zontees Tiger had it three years great

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aldi Motorbike Tank Bag Review

Zontes User Instruction Manual